You could argue whether Whistler or Squamish offers more outdoor adventure.
Costs can't be argued. Just look at price tags. And there's no arguing that if you save money, you can afford more adventures.
Here's how Whistler and Squamish compare when it comes to cost:
This is all not to say you shouldn’t go to Whistler because it's more expensive. You definitely should (read here for transport options). But if you want to spend (inarguably) less money to experience (arguably) better outdoor adventures, you should make Squamish, ideally the Squamish Adventure Inn, your base.
Did We Miss Anything?
Are there any cost comparisons we missed or you want to quibble about? Leave a comment below.
References for Squamish vs Whistler Expenses:
- Rafting: Wedge (Whistler) and Canadian Outback (Squamish) Elaho River adventure costs
- Public bus: BCTransit.com
- Golf: Low season green fees for Whistler Golf Course and Squamish Valley Golf Course
- Dorm Bed: Summer weekday rates from Whistler Lodge Hostel and Squamish Adventure Inn
- Private Room with Ensuite bath: Jan 2017 rates (double occupancy) for Whistler HI Hostel's "Premium Private Room" and Squamish Adventure Inn's "Super Private Double Room"
- Bike rental: 9am to 5pm cross country bike rental from Corsa Cycles (Squamish) and Summit (Whistler)
- Gondola rides for Sea to Sky Gondola (Squamish) and Whistler Blackcomb
- Bus: Grayhound Bus fares from Vancouver to Whistler and Squamish on Jan 18, 2017. Search results obtained Nov 17, 2016.
- Eggs: A dozen large conventional eggs from Whistler IGA and Squamish Save-On-Foods recorded Dec 2016
- Milk: 2 litres Dairlyand 2% milk from Whistler IGA and Squamish Save-On-Foods recorded Dec 2016
- 6-pack of Bowen Island Brewing Deep 6 Lager from BC Liquor Store. Prices are the same province-wide.
- 16 ounce coffee from Zephyr Cafe in Squamish and Moguls Coffee House in Whistler
- Bacon and Egg Breakfast is 2 eggs with bacon or sausage and toast fries or hash browns from Southside Diner in Whistler (Hog n' Eggs) and Chef Big D's in Squamish (The Usual)
- Pint of lager from Howe Sound Brewpub in Squamish and Longhorn Saloon and Grill in Whistler.
- Slice of pepperoni pizza from Pizzalicious in Squamish and Avalanche Pizza in Whistler